Posts Tagged ‘Canada’
… including the news that news media did not ignore this year’s March for Life.
My thanks to all the people who made the March such an upbeat, and notable, event.
… the mayor of Ottawa declares ‘Respect for Life Day.’ There is also info on the march in the article.
My thanks to Mayor Jim Watson.
This year’s theme for The National March for Life is “Abortion Kills a Human Being.” (I’d say that gets to the point.) Events start tomorrow (prayers, vigils, etc.), with the march on Thursday, followed by a youth conference on Friday, May 13. Schedule here.
There will also be other marches across Canada.
If I understand correctly, Canadian doctors are seeking legal cover for withdrawing medical care without consent.
He is breathing on his own, too, which is very good news. But all his family had been asking all along, really, was that they could take him home. And he’s finally there.
1. Last weekend, hundreds of thousands (perhaps as many as two million) people took to the streets of Madrid to protest the Spanish government’s proposals to reduce restrictions on abortion. (Via Alliance Alert, Oct. 19, 2009)
2. A Canadian student who tried to join in the Pro-Life Silent Day of Solidarity this week was put in isolation for the day by the school principal. But hundreds of thousands of other students throughout the world got to not speak to their classmates and communities.
3. AP reports that “Abortion advocates are fighting a proposal to build a new Catholic hospital near Washington, DC. …”. It seems odd to me to fight a hospital simply because the administration and staff plan to not kill anybody. But isn’t that what these activists are doing? (Via Alliance Alert, October 22, 2009)
4. The Catholic Archbishop of Denver, Charles J. Chaput, writing at InsideCatholic.com, discusses The Task of the Catholic Medical Profession. It’s a fairly lengthy article, adapted from a recent speech the Phoenix Catholic Physician’s Guild, but it’s worth a read. A special heads-up to those of you who love someone who has Down Syndrome. Well, and another special heads-up to those of you concerned with the culture wars. OK, in short, it’s not just for medical professionals. Not by a long shot.
5. There’s a National Pro-Life Conference for Canadians Oct. 29-31, in Saskatoon. The theme is Building Bridges: Making Choices for Life.
6. Also from Canada, the Saskatchewan Pro-Life Association has awarded its The Humanity of the Unborn Child Pro-Life Award to former U. S. President George W. Bush.
7. A news update: the middle school student in Pennsylvania who was forced to turn his “Abortion is not healthcare” t-shirt inside out last month, can now wear the shirt, thanks to a temporary agreement approved by a federal judge this week. Kari Andren, reporting for The Patriot-News, has more on the story.
Find more 7 Quick Takes Friday posts at Conversion Diary. My thanks to Jennifer for hosting. (And, by the way, Jennifer has a couple of pro-life Quick Takes in her post this week. Check it out.)
Jakki Jeffs, writing at GuelphMercury.com: